Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Cold Desserts, Day 5

I have been having computer problems, so I am a bit behind on posting. Beacuse of that, I am going to try and do a bunch of posts in on sitting. Therefore, these post will be relativly brief. Here it goes....

1. Our group had a lot of leftover meringure from the day before, so we decided to make baked maringue cookies. All you have to do is pipe the meringue onto trays and bake them at a really low temp. We ended up with 8 trays of cookies. They were not very exciting, but it was better than throwing the meringue away.




2. We then moved on to make a double batch of french vanilla ice cream. I feel like I have earned a degree in vanilla ice cream, we have made so much!

3. Each person had to make crepes. We made the batter as a group, and took turns cooking them. It is much harder than you would think to make crepes on an induction burner, beacuse it is so hard to control the temperature. It would go from screaming hot to cold very easily. We each had to present 6 crepes to the chef. I was the last one to cook mycrepes, and there was not much batter left, so I wasn't able to trow any of mine away. Thus, there are a few that are a bit darker than I would like.

After we presented our crepes, we were allowed to fill and eat them. We had a buch of different savory fillings, which was a welcome change. No ice cream for breakfast today!


4. The majority of class time was dedicated to bananas foster. We each had to flambee one banana on the gas range. This process took so long beacuse we had to go one at a time, so chef could grade our techinque and flames. In order to see the flames the lights were off, which pretty much brings a kitchen to a stand still. There is not much that can be done in the dark. My bananas foster turned out well, but there aren't any photos since I had my hands full.

Bananas foster ingredients: butter, brown sugar, rum, and banana liquor.


5. Finally the bombe was unveiled. It was a little anti-climactic, beacuse the inside of our bombe was brown on brown. But it stayed up, which was enough for me! Once it was sliced we delivered the halfs to culinary classes.

No comments:

Post a Comment